I’ve been meaning to do this for awhile since I’ve gotten so many people asking me what I use to make Avialae. I say *toolbox* but really these are just the pens I use to ink this specific comic with…I have…so many pens…
There are captions with the images explaining the tools.
01. Kuretake Disposable Pocket Brush Pen - Extra Fine
I use this pen the most. It makes a nice clean line that doesn’t budge with water.
02. Kuretake Disposable Pocket Brush Pen - Medium
Same as #01, but a much bigger tip—good for filling in blacks.
03. Uni Pin Pen 02
I use this pen the second most. I like a finer line and more control when inking faces and smaller details, so this does the trick for that.
04. Uni Pin Pen 01
For the tiny tiny details.
05. Kuretake No. 40 Fountain Sable Hair Brush Pen
I don’t use this pen much for this comic but it’s my favorite to ink with. I use it more for larger illustrations.
06. Pilot Color Eno .07mm - Soft Blue
My dedicated bluelines pencil! I like the Eno lead because it doesn’t break easily when I draw with my meaty claws.
07. Uni-ball Signo White Gel Pen
For fuckups and cutting back into lines. (This is not waterproof, so I usually use this last.)
08. Kuretake Fudebiyori Pocket Color Brush Pen - Light Gray
I use this for freckles. That’s it. That’s the only purpose.
09. Kuretake Fudejokochi Brush Pen - Gray Ink
10. Akashiya Sai Watercolor Brush Pen - Mouse Gray
This pen is kinda cool b/c you can dip it in water and it acts as a pigmented watercolor pen. Of course I blindly disregard that and use it as a base for darker gray fills.
11. Pentel Brush Pen w/ Gray Ink Cartridge
Similar to the Akashiya, but it doesn’t react with water as much.
12. Pentel Aquash Watercolor Brush Pen - Light Black
Dark gray fills/darker shadows.
13. Sumo Grip .5mm Mechanical Pencil
I don’t use this so much with Avialae, but I do all my sketching with this chunky ass mechanical pencil. It’s easier to hold??? Idk. It’s blue.
14. Uni Boxy Eraser
Yooo this eraser is awesome. It erases even my blue lines and it doesn’t leave an obscene amount of eraser shit.
15. J. Herbin Fountain Pen Ink - Gris Nuage
Gray ink! I use this in combination with my waterbrush pens to do most of the values in Avialae. It layers nicely and using gray ink helps me from making values too dark.
16. Kuretake Waterbrush - Medium
You fill these with water and squeeze them to keep the brush wet. I keep this one clean to do light values.
17. Kuretake Waterbrush - Large
I fill this one with diluted gray ink to do darker values.
18. Kuretake Waterbrush - Flat Head
Big ‘ol waterbrush to do big washes with.
I also do a lot of editing in Photoshop b/c I do most of Avialae while on a large amount of sleep medication*~*~*~